Utah County Amateur Radio Emergency Service
A.R.E.S. is a national organization of Amateur Radio Operators trained in Emergency Communications under the direction of the American Radio Relay League.
“The Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES) consists of licensed amateurs who have voluntarily registered their qualifications and equipment, with their local ARES leadership, for communications duty in the public service when disaster strikes.” (http://www.arrl.org/ares)
UCARES is the A.R.E.S. group for Utah County and we coordinate directly with, and are supported by the Utah County Sheriff’s Office. We also have both official and un-official liaisons with numerous other public service agencies, emergency, health, and transportation entities throughout the County. Our members are all volunteers and hundreds if not thousands of volunteer hours each year are donated by our volunteers to our community. For more information on the groups we work with, take a look at our Liaisons page.
We are using Google Groups to stay connected off of the air. To sign up, please send an email to the organization leadership at the address “firstname.lastname@example.org”
For the ARRL ARES program, we are logging all ARES Volunteer and participation hours through ARES Connect. It can be found at https://arrl.volunteerhub.com/lp/ut/ Please use your amateur radio call sign for your Username.
Current meeting and EOC agency schedules can be found here!
UCARES Certification requirements can be found in the Resource Pages. Though not required to join ARES, Certification Levels demonstrate the level of proficiency and equipment you have, and are considered by UCARES leadership when making assignments for public service events and callouts.
Interested in participating?
- Start with reading through the Field Guide in the Resources section.
- Fill out the membership application form here.
- Check in with the training nets, Tuesday Nights at 9:00 PM MST on the 147.34 repeater (details in the field guide)
- Join us for the first Tuesday of the month face to face meeting. Click here to see meeting location and maps.
- Follow the group on Facebook and keep an eye on your email for event announcements and callouts.
The net scripts have been updated as of March 5th. Please download as needed. W7MJP”Read
The Provo Freedom Pre Parade Meeting is Tuesday June 29th at 1900 hours at the SO North Annex Training Room. You can also join us online using Google Meet. W7MJP”Read
Go to the events page to see all upcoming events. The next scheduled event is the Provo Freedom Festival Parade happening on July 5th, 2021. Sign-Up Here!”Read
Field Day is Saturday June 26th. We will be at North County Equestrian Park located approximately 6800 W 9200 N, Highland. We will be there from 11 am till 6 pm.”Read
The Utah Valley Amateur Radio Club is pleased to announce their very first ham radio fair Thursday July 15 starting 6:00 pm in the at Pheasant Brook Park North Pavilion, 400 N 800 W in Lindon.
This is a very informal, fee-free eyeball QSO (in-person gathering) that replaces our July club meeting, and all are welcome, especially families. One of the purposes of this ham radio fair is to give those folks who missed Field Day or the 76ers Barbecue, yet another opportunity to join the fun and see how it's done.
Once we kick off the fair at 6 pm, there will be no presentation or speeches, but there'll be an announcement or two. You might find the following activities there:
- spots for you to show off your portable or other station
- kiosks where you can analyze your antenna or test your coax
- GOTA (get-on-the-air) station, in case you missed it at Field Day
- an elmer bench, where you can ask questions that you might have been afraid to ask on the radio
- food and drinks (a sign-up sheet will be posted)
- demonstrations, posters, kits, equipment show-and-tell
- representatives from other clubs and groups
- radio programmers, who can, well, program your radio
- old but working handheld radios that the kids (or you) can try out
- and more!
You can show up as early as 4:30 pm, if you have an antenna or station you'd like to set up. Commercial power will be available, but we'd love to see your solar and off-grid solutions too!
Talk-ins on 146.780- and 146.760- repeaters. See you there!