Utah County Amateur Radio Emergency Service
A.R.E.S. is a national organization of Amateur Radio Operators trained in Emergency Communications under the direction of the American Radio Relay League.
“The Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES) consists of licensed amateurs who have voluntarily registered their qualifications and equipment, with their local ARES leadership, for communications duty in the public service when disaster strikes.” (http://www.arrl.org/ares)
UCARES is the A.R.E.S. group for Utah County and we coordinate directly with, and are supported by the Utah County Sheriff’s Office. We also have both official and un-official liaisons with numerous other public service agencies, emergency, health, and transportation entities throughout the County. Our members are all volunteers and hundreds if not thousands of volunteer hours each year are donated by our volunteers to our community. For more information on the groups we work with, take a look at our Liaisons page.
We are using Google Groups to stay connected off of the air. To sign up, please send an email to the organization leadership at the address “email@example.com”
Need an ELMER? Need help programing your radio or help with antennas? Send us an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current meeting and EOC agency schedules can be found here!
UCARES Certification requirements can be found in the Resource Pages. Though not required to join ARES, Certification Levels demonstrate the level of proficiency and equipment you have, and are considered by UCARES leadership when making assignments for public service events and callouts.
Interested in participating?
- Start with reading through the Field Guide in the Resources section.
- Fill out the membership application form here.
- Check in with the training nets, Tuesday Nights at 9:00 PM MST on the 147.34 repeater (details in the field guide)
- Join us for the first Tuesday of the month face to face meeting. Click here to see meeting location and maps.
- Follow the group on Facebook and keep an eye on your email for event announcements and callouts.
We will be meeting at the Sheriffs office North Annex Training Room, meeting starting at 1900 hours (7PM). The subject on antennas presented by Kent F. Map To SO Training Room”Read
Many thanks to our DEM staff member Bryan Stinson that recorded the afternoon session of the DEM Communications Conference held on November 4th. I had not realized we were not recording the morning session until the lunch break. That's my fault and I apologize. The afternoon session was recorded. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/bA6gdY2tclI
Information about the morning presentations will follow at a later date.
Bob Craven, N7GTE, Utah RACES Officer”Read
The net scripts have been updated to September 2023. They can be downloaded from the Net Tab. w7mjp”Read
We will be meeting at the Sheriffs office North Annex Training Room, meeting starting at 1900 hours (7PM). The subject is TBD! Map To SO Training Room”Read
Sellers can begin setting up at 7:30 A.M. Please do not start selling or buying before 9:00 A.M
$5 – per person $10 – per family $5 – table (pay at the door)
There will be WiFi No food will be provided Handicap parking is accessible Plenty of parking, but please do not park in the reserved stalls Please no smoking, no generators, and no open fires
The typical purpose of a swapmeet is to offer buyers and sellers an opportunity to get together and buy / sell / trade, plus the chance to rub shoulders with both new and long-lost ham friends. But this swapmeet will also provide the following:
- Demonstrations of amateur radio gear, including helping you get on the air (GOTA station)
- Information on many aspects of amateur radio, including HF, digital, APRS, SOTA, portable, and much more
- Opportunity for many ham radio clubs, social groups, and associations (76ers, Utah VHF Society, UVARC, UARC, UDXA, WDARC, ARRL, etc.) to recruit members
- Chance for service organizations (SLCOARES, UCARES, TCARES, DCARES, TERT, ERC, SAG, ARC, VEC, etc.) to invite and recruit members and inform attendees
- Information about ham radio exam sessions and courses for much of Utah
- Radio programmers who could program your radio on the spot, depending on your radio model and where you live
Time: 7 PM
Location: Utah County Sheriff’s Office North Annex Training Room.
256 W 3200 N, Spanish Fork, Utah 84660
New and seasoned hams are all welcome to attend this non-formal event that occurs on the 4th Tuesday of each month. Come ask questions, get your radio programmed, and enjoy conversation with other hams. w7mjp”Read