Training item presented by Walt, AD7WG:
The Amateur’s Code*
The Radio Amateur is:
- CONSIDERATE…never knowingly operates in such a way as to lesson the pleasure of others.
- LOYAL… offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.
- PROGRESSIVE…with knowledge abreast of science, a well built and efficient station and operation above reproach.
- FRIENDLY…slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interest of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.
- BALANCED…radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.
- PATRIOTIC…station and skill always ready for service to country and community.
-The original Amateur’s Code was written by Paul M. Segal W9EEA, in 1928
*As quoted in THE ARRL OPERATING MANUAL for Radio Amateurs, ARRL, 9th edition, Newington, CT, 2007